vlog

Skip to content
NOWCAST vlog News at 10pm Weeknights
Watch on Demand
Advertisement

Firefighters report progress against wildfires as LA braces for dangerous winds

Firefighters report progress against wildfires as LA braces for dangerous winds
I think that we're all on edge. The National Weather Service says the LA fire risk is higher today after *** short reprieve yesterday. It's re-upping the severity of its red flag warning. What I'm most concerned about for this event is *** new fire start. Cal Fire now ranks the Eaton blaze as the most destructive in Southern California history. It says the Palisades fire is the second. Officials say together they burned more than 12,000 structures. We know everyone wants answers and the community deserves. Investigators are trying to find out how the fire started and became so destructive. New analysis of images from satellites and *** wildfire camera suggest the Palisades fire might have ignited near the burn scar from *** blaze earlier this month. As with the Eaton fire's origin, newly released video of flames near an electrical tower on January 7th might be *** clue. Experts say *** perfect storm of wind and dryness caused the fires to spread rapidly. They say no fire department in the world could have done better with those conditions, but newly surfaced video shows firefighters warned city leaders of understaffing just last month. If we cut one position. If we close one station, if we close one resource, the residents of Los Angeles are gonna pay the ultimate sacrifice and someone will die. I'm Mimi Kiley reporting.
Advertisement
Firefighters report progress against wildfires as LA braces for dangerous winds
Millions of Southern Californians nervously kept watch as winds began picking up Wednesday during a final round of dangerous wildfire weather forecast for the region where two massive blazes have killed at least 25 people and destroyed thousands of homes.A day after firefighters got a reprieve with lighter winds than expected, gusts were hitting up to 35 mph on the coast and in valleys and 55 mph in the mountains before dawn, National Weather Service meteorologist Todd Hall said. They were expected to increase through the morning.“This is really just the last push of these winds here today," Hall said. "Hopefully, if we get through today, we’re going to have some better conditions for late week, especially into Friday and Saturday.”The more manageable winds on Tuesday allowed firefighters to make headway on controlling the most deadly and destructive fires that have been burning for just over a week. Almost half of the Eaton Fire just north of Los Angeles has been contained, and one-fifth of the fire that destroyed much of the seaside LA neighborhood of Pacific Palisades is now surrounded.Both of those fires broke out Jan. 7 in conditions similar to what’s expected Wednesday. High winds last week pushed flames at remarkable speed and carried fire-sparking embers for miles.The weather service issued red-flag warnings — indicating temperatures are warm, humidity is low and strong winds are expected — from 3 a.m. to 3 p.m. from the Central Coast 275 miles south to the border with Mexico. A “particularly dangerous situation” was in effect for an area that includes parts of Los Angeles and Ventura counties.A state of alertWeary and anxious residents were told to be ready to flee at a moment’s notice. They remained vigilant, keeping an eye on the skies and on each other: Police announced roughly 50 arrests, for looting, flying drones in fire zones, violating curfew and other crimes.Of those, three people were arrested on suspicion of arson after being seen setting small fires that were immediately extinguished, LA Police Chief Jim McDonnell said. One was using a barbecue lighter, another ignited brush and a third tried to light a trash can, he said. All were far outside the disaster zones. Authorities have not determined a cause for any of the major fires.Among nine people charged with looting was a group that stole an Emmy award from an evacuated house, Los Angeles County District Attorney Nathan Hochman said.The biggest worry remained the threat from intense winds. Now backed by firefighters from other states, Canada and Mexico, crews were deployed to attack flareups or new blazes. The firefighting force was much bigger than a week ago, when the first wave of fires began destroying thousands of homes in what could become the nation's costliest fire disaster.Video above: Brothers fight to save neighborhood from Palisades FireKaylin Johnson and her family planned to spend the night at their home, one of the few left standing in Altadena, near Pasadena. They intended to keep watch to ward off looting and to hose down the house and her neighbors’ properties to prevent flareups.“Our lives have been put on hold indefinitely,” Johnson said via text message, adding that they cannot freely come and go because of restrictions on entering the burn areas. “But I would rather be here and not leave than to not be allowed back at all.”Packed and ready to goResidents said they were ready to make a hasty escape.Javier Vega, who said he feels like he has been “sleeping with one eye open,” and his girlfriend have planned out how they can quickly pack up their two cats, eight fish and leopard gecko if they get orders to evacuate.“Typically on any other night, hearing helicopters flying overhead from midnight to 4:00 in the morning, that would drive anyone crazy,” Vega said. But figuring they were helping firefighters to keep the flames from threatening their neighborhood, he explained, “it was actually soothing for me to go to sleep.”Video above: LA wildfires aerial footagePreparing for another outbreakPlanes doused homes and hillsides with bright pink fire-retardant chemicals, while crews and fire engines deployed to particularly vulnerable spots with dry brush.Los Angeles Mayor Karen Bass and other officials who were criticized over their initial response expressed confidence that the region is ready to face the new threat. The mayor said she was able to fly over the disaster areas, which she described as resembling the aftermath of a “dry hurricane.”Winds this time were not expected to reach the same fierce speeds seen last week but they could ground firefighting aircraft, LA County Fire Chief Anthony Marrone said.He urged homeless people to avoid starting fires for warmth and to seek shelter.Wildfires on the rise across LAWith almost no rain in more than eight months, the brush-filled region has had more than a dozen wildfires this year, mostly in the greater Los Angeles area.Firefighters have jumped on small blazes that popped up, quickly smothering several in Los Angeles county, including a blaze Tuesday evening in the Angeles National Forest.The four largest fires around the nation’s second-biggest city have scorched more than 63 square miles, roughly three times the size of Manhattan. Of these, the Eaton Fire near Pasadena was roughly one-third contained, while the largest blaze, in Pacific Palisades on the coast, was far less contained.Searching for victimsThe death toll is likely to rise, according to Los Angeles County Sheriff Robert Luna. Nearly 30 people were still missing, he said Tuesday. Some people reported as missing earlier have been found.Just under 90,000 people in the county remained under evacuation orders, half the number from last week.Hollywood on holdHollywood’s awards season has been put on hiatus because of the crisis. The Oscar nominations have been delayed twice, and some organizations postponed their awards shows and announcements without rescheduling.

Millions of Southern Californians nervously kept watch as winds began picking up Wednesday during a final round of dangerous wildfire weather forecast for the region where two massive blazes have killed at least 25 people and destroyed thousands of homes.

A day after firefighters got a reprieve with lighter winds than expected, gusts were hitting up to 35 mph on the coast and in valleys and 55 mph in the mountains before dawn, National Weather Service meteorologist Todd Hall said. They were expected to increase through the morning.

Advertisement

“This is really just the last push of these winds here today," Hall said. "Hopefully, if we get through today, we’re going to have some better conditions for late week, especially into Friday and Saturday.”

The more manageable winds on Tuesday allowed firefighters to make headway on controlling the most deadly and destructive fires that have been burning for just over a week. Almost half of the Eaton Fire just north of Los Angeles has been contained, and one-fifth of the fire that destroyed much of the seaside LA neighborhood of Pacific Palisades is now surrounded.

Both of those fires broke out Jan. 7 in conditions similar to what’s expected Wednesday. High winds last week pushed flames at remarkable speed and carried fire-sparking embers for miles.

The weather service issued red-flag warnings — indicating temperatures are warm, humidity is low and strong winds are expected — from 3 a.m. to 3 p.m. from the Central Coast 275 miles south to the border with Mexico. A “particularly dangerous situation” was in effect for an area that includes parts of Los Angeles and Ventura counties.

A state of alert

Weary and anxious residents were told to be ready to flee at a moment’s notice. They remained vigilant, keeping an eye on the skies and on each other: Police announced roughly 50 arrests, for looting, flying drones in fire zones, violating curfew and other crimes.

Of those, three people were arrested on suspicion of arson after being seen setting small fires that were immediately extinguished, LA Police Chief Jim McDonnell said. One was using a barbecue lighter, another ignited brush and a third tried to light a trash can, he said. All were far outside the disaster zones. Authorities have not determined a cause for any of the major fires.

Among nine people charged with looting was a group that stole an Emmy award from an evacuated house, Los Angeles County District Attorney Nathan Hochman said.

The biggest worry remained the threat from intense winds. Now backed by firefighters from other states, Canada and Mexico, crews were deployed to attack flareups or new blazes. The firefighting force was much bigger than a week ago, when the first wave of fires began destroying thousands of homes in what could become the nation's costliest fire disaster.

Video above: Brothers fight to save neighborhood from Palisades Fire

Kaylin Johnson and her family planned to spend the night at their home, one of the few left standing in Altadena, near Pasadena. They intended to keep watch to ward off looting and to hose down the house and her neighbors’ properties to prevent flareups.

“Our lives have been put on hold indefinitely,” Johnson said via text message, adding that they cannot freely come and go because of restrictions on entering the burn areas. “But I would rather be here and not leave than to not be allowed back at all.”

Packed and ready to go

Residents said they were ready to make a hasty escape.

Javier Vega, who said he feels like he has been “sleeping with one eye open,” and his girlfriend have planned out how they can quickly pack up their two cats, eight fish and leopard gecko if they get orders to evacuate.

“Typically on any other night, hearing helicopters flying overhead from midnight to 4:00 in the morning, that would drive anyone crazy,” Vega said. But figuring they were helping firefighters to keep the flames from threatening their neighborhood, he explained, “it was actually soothing for me to go to sleep.”

Video above: LA wildfires aerial footage

Preparing for another outbreak

Planes doused homes and hillsides with bright pink fire-retardant chemicals, while crews and fire engines deployed to particularly vulnerable spots with dry brush.

Los Angeles Mayor Karen Bass and other officials who were criticized over their initial response expressed confidence that the region is ready to face the new threat. The mayor said she was able to fly over the disaster areas, which she described as resembling the aftermath of a “dry hurricane.”

Winds this time were not expected to reach the same fierce speeds seen last week but they could ground firefighting aircraft, LA County Fire Chief Anthony Marrone said.

He urged homeless people to avoid starting fires for warmth and to seek shelter.

Wildfires on the rise across LA

With almost no rain in more than eight months, the brush-filled region has had more than a dozen wildfires this year, mostly in the greater Los Angeles area.

Firefighters have jumped on small blazes that popped up, quickly smothering several in Los Angeles county, including a blaze Tuesday evening in the Angeles National Forest.

The four largest fires around the nation’s second-biggest city have scorched more than 63 square miles, roughly three times the size of Manhattan. Of these, the Eaton Fire near Pasadena was roughly one-third contained, while the largest blaze, in Pacific Palisades on the coast, was far less contained.

Searching for victims

The death toll is likely to rise, according to Los Angeles County Sheriff Robert Luna. Nearly 30 people were still missing, he said Tuesday. Some people reported as missing earlier have been found.

Just under 90,000 people in the county remained under evacuation orders, half the number from last week.

Hollywood on hold

Hollywood’s awards season has been put on hiatus because of the crisis. The Oscar nominations have been delayed twice, and some organizations postponed their awards shows and announcements without rescheduling.