vlog

Skip to content
NOWCAST vlog News at 5am Weekend Mornings
Watch on Demand
Advertisement

Judge denies Peter Navarro's bid to remain out of prison while appealing contempt of Congress case

Judge denies Peter Navarro's bid to remain out of prison while appealing contempt of Congress case
I think I have brought probably bothered him dozens of times to ask what we can continue to do to advance his efforts. And the gentleman from Mississippi has recognized no one is above the law and that's what the point we're trying to make. We asked the individuals subpoenaed them to come before the committee and they chose not to come and therefore they broke the law and that's why we're here today. The gentlewoman from Wyoming is recognized. We all have an obligation to abide by the rulings of the courts. Um so yes, um it was *** false story. Yes, it was *** big lie. In fact, former Vice President Pence has said that what president trump wanted him to do was quote un american, it was also unconstitutional and it was illegal. Mr Speaker. What gives me tremendous hope though is although so many in my party in this body have put loyalty to donald trump ahead of their oath to the constitution. The committee has interviewed scores of republicans from around the country who in fact have shown the kind of tremendous bravery and dedication to public service that every american can be proud of On this vote. The Yeas are to 20 the nays are 203. The resolution is adopted
Advertisement
Judge denies Peter Navarro's bid to remain out of prison while appealing contempt of Congress case
A federal judge on Thursday denied Trump White House official Peter Navarro's bid to remain out of prison while he appeals his contempt of Congress conviction for refusing to cooperate with an investigation into the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the U.S. Capitol.Navarro was sentenced last month to four months behind bars after being found guilty of defying a subpoena for documents and a deposition from the House Jan. 6 Committee. The former White House trade adviser under President Donald Trump had asked to be free while he fights that conviction and sentence in higher courts.But U.S. District Judge Amit Mehta said that Navarro must report to serve his sentence when ordered by the Bureau of Prisons, unless Washington's federal appeals court steps in to block Mehta's order. The judge said Navarro hasn't shown that any of the issues he will raise on appeal are “substantial" questions of law.Among other things, Navarro has argued that his prosecution was motivated by political bias, but Mehta said Navarro had offered “no actual proof” to support that claim.“Defendant’s cynical, self-serving claim of political bias poses no question at all, let alone a ‘substantial’ one,” wrote Mehta, who was appointed to the federal court in Washington by President Barack Obama.An attorney for Navarro didn't immediately respond to a message seeking comment.Navarro has said he couldn’t cooperate with the committee because Trump had invoked executive privilege. The judge barred him from making that argument at trial, however, finding that he didn’t show Trump had actually invoked it.Navarro told the judge before receiving his punishment in January that the House committee investigating the Jan. 6 attack had led him to believe that it accepted his invocation of executive privilege.Navarro was the second Trump aide convicted of contempt of Congress charges. Former White House adviser Steve Bannon previously received a four-month sentence but is free pending appeal.The House committee spent 18 months investigating the insurrection, interviewing over 1,000 witnesses, holding 10 hearings and obtaining more than 1 million pages of documents. In its final report, the panel ultimately concluded that Trump criminally engaged in a “multi-part conspiracy” to overturn the election results and failed to act to stop his supporters from storming the Capitol.Trump, the Republican presidential primary front-runner, has been criminally charged by special counsel Jack Smith with conspiring to overturn his 2020 election loss to President Joe Biden. Trump has denied any wrongdoing and says the case is politically motivated.

A federal judge on Thursday denied Trump White House official Peter Navarro's bid to remain out of prison while he appeals his contempt of Congress conviction for refusing to cooperate with an investigation into the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the U.S. Capitol.

Navarro was sentenced last month to four months behind bars after being found guilty of defying a subpoena for documents and a deposition from the House Jan. 6 Committee. The former White House trade adviser under President Donald Trump had asked to be free while he fights that conviction and sentence in higher courts.

Advertisement

But U.S. District Judge Amit Mehta said that Navarro must report to serve his sentence when ordered by the Bureau of Prisons, unless Washington's federal appeals court steps in to block Mehta's order. The judge said Navarro hasn't shown that any of the issues he will raise on appeal are “substantial" questions of law.

Among other things, Navarro has argued that his prosecution was motivated by political bias, but Mehta said Navarro had offered “no actual proof” to support that claim.

“Defendant’s cynical, self-serving claim of political bias poses no question at all, let alone a ‘substantial’ one,” wrote Mehta, who was appointed to the federal court in Washington by President Barack Obama.

An attorney for Navarro didn't immediately respond to a message seeking comment.

Navarro has said he couldn’t cooperate with the committee because Trump had invoked executive privilege. The judge barred him from making that argument at trial, however, finding that he didn’t show Trump had actually invoked it.

Navarro told the judge before receiving his punishment in January that the House committee investigating the Jan. 6 attack had led him to believe that it accepted his invocation of executive privilege.

Navarro was the second Trump aide convicted of contempt of Congress charges. Former White House adviser Steve Bannon previously received a four-month sentence but is free pending appeal.

The House committee spent 18 months investigating the insurrection, interviewing over 1,000 witnesses, holding 10 hearings and obtaining more than 1 million pages of documents. In its final report, the panel ultimately concluded that Trump criminally engaged in a “multi-part conspiracy” to overturn the election results and failed to act to stop his supporters from storming the Capitol.

Trump, the Republican presidential primary front-runner, has been criminally charged by special counsel Jack Smith with conspiring to overturn his 2020 election loss to President Joe Biden. Trump has denied any wrongdoing and says the case is politically motivated.