vlog

Skip to content
NOWCAST vlog News at 6pm Saturday Evening
Watch on Demand
Advertisement

The US is investigating an unauthorized release of classified documents on Israel's attack plans

The US is investigating an unauthorized release of classified documents on Israel's attack plans
If confirmed, this would be an earth shattering moment. *** moment more than *** year in the making, the Israeli military has made clear as has the Israeli government that Yahya Sinar is enemy. Number one, the top priority for the Israeli military in Gaza to eliminate him. And indeed today, the Israeli military is now saying that they are quote, checking the possibility that one of three terrorists who they say were killed in Gaza was Yahya Sinar. They say that at this stage, the identity of those terrorists quote cannot be confirmed. They say that these three terrorists as they call them were killed in *** building in Gaza. They say that there were no signs of the presence of hostages in the area, which is particularly notable because the belief has long been that Yahya Sinar has been holding *** group of hostages around him effectively as human shields. The Israeli military says that the forces that are operating in the area are going to continue to do so. But again, we are *** year and 10 days out from the October 7th massacre of last year. Yahya Sinar was indeed one of the key masterminds of that massacre. And he was of course and still remains at this time, the leader of Hamas, not only in Gaza, but now of course, he has been elevated to the overall leader of Hamas following the assassination this summer of Ismail Haniyeh Hamas's political leader who was living outside of the Gaza Strip. Sinar spent 23 years in an Israeli jail. He was released in 2011 as part of the prisoner exchange deal that resulted in the freeing of Gilad Shalit, that Israeli soldier who had been taken captive by Hamas. And of course, in the years since he has built up Hamas to the point that they were able to carry out that attack on October 7th of last year. And for the last year, he is believed to be hiding in tunnels, the vast tunnel network beneath the Gaza Strip. And of course, the Israeli forces have, he has evaded Israeli forces until now at least or we will see whether or not he continues to evade Israeli forces. There have been rumors in the past, but this is the first time that we have heard the Israeli military actually come out and say that there is *** possibility they have killed Yahya Sinar. I'm told that they are still working to confirm whether or not this body that they believe may be his, whether or not it is actually him. But if so, of course, it would be an enormous blow to Hamas. An enormous development in this war that has stretched for over *** year now.
Advertisement
The US is investigating an unauthorized release of classified documents on Israel's attack plans
The United States is investigating an unauthorized release of classified documents that assess Israel's plans to attack Iran, three U.S. officials told The Associated Press. A fourth U.S. official said the documents appear to be legitimate.The documents are attributed to the U.S. Geospatial Intelligence Agency and National Security Agency, and note that Israel was still moving military assets in place to conduct a military strike in response to Iran's blistering ballistic missile attack on Oct. 1. They were sharable within the “Five Eyes,” which are the U.S., Great Britain, Canada, New Zealand and Australia.The documents, which are marked top secret, were posted to the Telegram messaging app and first reported by CNN and Axios. The officials spoke on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the matter publicly.The investigation is also examining how the documents were obtained — including whether it was an intentional leak by a member of the U.S. intelligence community or obtained by another method, like a hack — and whether any other intelligence information was compromised, one of the officials said. As part of that investigation, officials are working to determine who had access to the documents before they were posted, the official said.The U.S. has urged Israel to take advantage of its elimination of Hamas leader Yahya Sinwar and press for a cease-fire in Gaza, and has likewise urgently cautioned Israel not to further expand military operations in the north in Lebanon and risk a wider regional war. However, Israel's leadership has repeatedly stressed it will not let Iran's missile attack go unanswered.In a statement, the Pentagon said it was aware of the reports of the documents but did not have further comment.The Israeli military did not immediately respond to a request for comment over the leak of the two documents.The documents first appeared online Friday via a channel on Telegram, claiming they had been leaked by someone in the U.S. intelligence community, then later the U.S. Defense Department. The information appeared entirely gathered through the use of satellite image analysis.One of the two documents resembled the style of other material from the U.S. National Geospatial Intelligence Agency leaked by Jack Teixeira, an Air National Guardsman who pleaded guilty in March to leaking highly classified military documents about Russia’s war on Ukraine and other national security secrets.The Telegram channel involved in the leak identifies itself as being based in Tehran, Iran's capital. It previously published memes featuring Iran’s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei and material in support of Tehran’s self-described “Axis of Resistance,” which includes Middle East militant groups armed by the Islamic Republic.

The United States is investigating an unauthorized release of classified documents that assess Israel's plans to attack Iran, three U.S. officials told The Associated Press. A fourth U.S. official said the documents appear to be legitimate.

The documents are attributed to the U.S. Geospatial Intelligence Agency and National Security Agency, and note that Israel was still moving military assets in place to conduct a military strike in response to Iran's blistering ballistic missile attack on Oct. 1. They were sharable within the “Five Eyes,” which are the U.S., Great Britain, Canada, New Zealand and Australia.

Advertisement

The documents, which are marked top secret, were posted to the Telegram messaging app and first reported by CNN and Axios. The officials spoke on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the matter publicly.

The investigation is also examining how the documents were obtained — including whether it was an intentional leak by a member of the U.S. intelligence community or obtained by another method, like a hack — and whether any other intelligence information was compromised, one of the officials said. As part of that investigation, officials are working to determine who had access to the documents before they were posted, the official said.

The U.S. has urged Israel to take advantage of its elimination of Hamas leader Yahya Sinwar and press for a cease-fire in Gaza, and has likewise urgently cautioned Israel not to further expand military operations in the north in Lebanon and risk a wider regional war. However, Israel's leadership has repeatedly stressed it will not let Iran's missile attack go unanswered.

In a statement, the Pentagon said it was aware of the reports of the documents but did not have further comment.

The Israeli military did not immediately respond to a request for comment over the leak of the two documents.

The documents first appeared online Friday via a channel on Telegram, claiming they had been leaked by someone in the U.S. intelligence community, then later the U.S. Defense Department. The information appeared entirely gathered through the use of satellite image analysis.

One of the two documents resembled the style of other material from the U.S. National Geospatial Intelligence Agency leaked by Jack Teixeira, an Air National Guardsman who pleaded guilty in March to leaking highly classified military documents about Russia’s war on Ukraine and other national security secrets.

The Telegram channel involved in the leak identifies itself as being based in Tehran, Iran's capital. It previously published memes featuring Iran’s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei and material in support of Tehran’s self-described “Axis of Resistance,” which includes Middle East militant groups armed by the Islamic Republic.