vlog

Skip to content
NOWCAST vlog News at 5am Weekend Mornings
Watch on Demand
Advertisement

Federal judge temporarily blocks Trump’s offer to federal workers

A federal judge has temporarily halted President Donald Trump's plan to offer federal workers eight months' pay if they resign immediately.

Federal judge temporarily blocks Trump’s offer to federal workers

A federal judge has temporarily halted President Donald Trump's plan to offer federal workers eight months' pay if they resign immediately.

The judge did not express an opinion on the legality of the so-called deferred resignation program, instead setting *** court hearing for Monday, giving both sides, the Trump administration and labor unions time to form their legal arguments, also asking the administration to extend the deadline until Monday. *** federal judge extending the deadline on President Donald Trump's plan to push out federal employees by offering full pay through September if they resign immediately. We encourage federal workers in this city to accept the very generous offer. If they don't want to show up to the office, if they want to rip the American people off, then they're welcome to take this buyout and we'll find highly competent individuals who want to fill these roles. So far, the White House says more than 40,000 of the 2.3 million federal workers. Have accepted the buyout. Dave Caserly is not among them. I see absolutely no reason to accept any kind of offer like that, and also I don't think it's *** real offer. That skepticism echoed by unions suing the Trump administration and urging members not to take the offer. Everything they're doing here with this resignations has not been authorized by Congress. In *** statement from an Office of Personnel Management spokesperson, they say, quote, in Instead of spreading misinformation and using workers as political pawns, union leaders and politicians should be making sure federal employees have the facts and freedom to make the best decision for themselves and their families. And we obtained an email from OPM sent to federal employees just this morning reminding them that if they don't take this buyout offer, layoffs and furloughs may be next, saying, quote, the majority of federal agencies are likely going to be downsized. In Washington, I'm Christopher Sala.
Advertisement
Federal judge temporarily blocks Trump’s offer to federal workers

A federal judge has temporarily halted President Donald Trump's plan to offer federal workers eight months' pay if they resign immediately.

A federal judge has temporarily blocked President Donald Trump's offer to federal workers to resign in exchange for pay through Sept. 30.U.S. District Judge George O’Toole Jr. in Boston did not express an opinion on the legality of the "deferred resignation program." Instead, he scheduled a hearing for Monday and told the Trump administration to extend the application deadline until then."We encourage federal workers in this city to accept the very generous offer," said White House Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt. "If they don't want to show up to the office, if they want to rip the American people off, then they're welcome to take this buyout, and we'll find highly competent individuals who want to fill these roles." So far, the White House says more than 40,000 of the 2.3 million federal employees have agreed to the buyout. Dave Casserly, a federal employee with the Labor Department, is not among them."I see absolutely no reason to accept any kind of offer like that," Casserly said. "And also, I don't think it's a real offer."That skepticism is echoed by unions suing the Trump administration and urging members not to take the offer."Everything they're doing here with these resignations has not been authorized by Congress," said Randy Erwin, president of the National Federation of Federal Employees.An Office of Personnel Management spokesperson said in a statement, "Instead of spreading misinformation and using workers as political pawns, they (union leaders and politicians) should be making sure federal employees have the facts and freedom to make the best decision for themselves and their families."On Thursday morning, OPM sent another email to employees reminding them that if they don't take this offer, layoffs or furloughs could be next, saying the "majority of federal agencies are likely going to be downsized."

A federal judge has temporarily blocked President Donald Trump's offer to federal workers to resign in exchange for pay through Sept. 30.

U.S. District Judge George O’Toole Jr. in Boston did not express an opinion on the legality of the "deferred resignation program." Instead, he scheduled a hearing for Monday and told the Trump administration to extend the application deadline until then.

Advertisement

"We encourage federal workers in this city to accept the very generous offer," said White House Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt. "If they don't want to show up to the office, if they want to rip the American people off, then they're welcome to take this buyout, and we'll find highly competent individuals who want to fill these roles."

So far, the White House says more than 40,000 of the 2.3 million federal employees have agreed to the buyout. Dave Casserly, a federal employee with the Labor Department, is not among them.

"I see absolutely no reason to accept any kind of offer like that," Casserly said. "And also, I don't think it's a real offer."

That skepticism is echoed by unions suing the Trump administration and urging members not to take the offer.

"Everything they're doing here with these resignations has not been authorized by Congress," said Randy Erwin, president of the National Federation of Federal Employees.

An Office of Personnel Management spokesperson said in a statement, "Instead of spreading misinformation and using workers as political pawns, they (union leaders and politicians) should be making sure federal employees have the facts and freedom to make the best decision for themselves and their families."

On Thursday morning, OPM sent another email to employees reminding them that if they don't take this offer, layoffs or furloughs could be next, saying the "majority of federal agencies are likely going to be downsized."