vlog

Skip to content
NOWCAST vlog News at 6pm Weekday Evening
Watch on Demand
Advertisement

Dr. Fauci says he expects the Johnson & Johnson vaccine to resume later this week

Dr. Fauci says he expects the Johnson & Johnson vaccine to resume later this week
>> I FEEL GOOD THAT I’M NOW I’M FULLY VACCINATED WITH THE MODERN TODD: TERRY DAVIS IS ONE OF ABOUT ONE HUNDRED PEOPLE GETTING SECOND SHOTS OF COVID VACCINE TODAY AT ST. JOHN MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH IN ROXBURY, WHERE THE WHITTER STREET HEALTH CENTER IS HOLDING A MOBILE VACCINATION CLINIC. AND ALTHOUGH MODERNA IS IN THE SYRINGES HERE, THE JOHNSON AND JOHNSON VACCINE BECAUSE PAUSE IS ON THE MINDS OF MANY. >> ESPECIALLY NOW, WHAT HAPPENED WITH THE JOHNSON AND JOHNSON VACCINE IT ALSO AFFECTS THE VACCINES WE’RE GIVING NOW, AND WE’RE JUST GIVING, YOU KNOW, A LOT OF REASSURANCE I GIVE MY OWN TESTIMONY. TODD: STILL, AWAY FROM CLINICS, HESITANCY LINGERS, AND THOSE FEARS MAY HAVE BEEN FUELED YESTERDAY BY THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT PUTTING A HOLD ON J&J’S ONE-SHOT VACCINE DUE TO RARE BLOOD CLOTS. >> THE FACT THAT WE SEE THIS IS CAUSED -- PAUSED, IT IS NOT GOOD NEWS, BUT IT SHOULD MAKE PEOPLE FEEL CONFIDENT THAT REALLY THE SYSTEM IS OUT WORKING FOR US AND TRYING TO MAKE SURE THAT WE’RE ALL SAFE. >> BACK AT THE CHURCH, THE PASTOR SEES ENCOURAGING SIGNS. >> I THINK FROM MY CONGREGATION, AND FOLKS I’VE HEARD FROM IN THE COMMUNITY, GIVEN THAT THE VACCINE HAS BEEN ROLLED OUT FOR SEVERAL MONTHS ALREADY, AND A NUMBER OF PEOPLE HAVE TAKEN IT, AND HAVE FOUND IT TO BE SUCCESSFUL, I DEFINITELY SEE THE HESITANCY LEAV
Advertisement
Dr. Fauci says he expects the Johnson & Johnson vaccine to resume later this week
The United States will likely move to resume Johnson & Johnson’s COVID-19 vaccine this coming week, possibly with restrictions or broader warnings after reports of some very rare blood clot cases, the government’s top infectious diseases expert said Sunday.Dr. Anthony Fauci, in a series of news show interviews, said he expects a decision when advisers to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention meet Friday to discuss the pause in J&J’s single-dose vaccine.“I would be very surprised if we don’t have a resumption in some form by Friday,” he said. "I don’t really anticipate that they’re going to want it stretch it out a bit longer.”Fauci, who is President Joe Biden’s chief medical adviser, said he believed that federal regulators could bring the shots back with restrictions based on age or gender or with a blanket warning, so that it is administered in a way “a little bit different than we were before the pause.”The J&J vaccine has been in limbo after the CDC and the Food and Drug Administration said last week they needed more evidence to decide if a handful of unusual blood clots were linked to the shot — and if so, how big the risk is.The reports are rare — six cases out of more than 7 million U.S. inoculations with J&J vaccine. The clots were found in six women between the ages of 18 and 48. One person died.The acting FDA commissioner had said she expected the pause to last only a matter of days. Still, the decision last Tuesday triggered swift action in Europe and elsewhere.Fauci said he doubted very seriously that the U.S. would permanently halt use of the J&J vaccine.“I don’t think that’s going to happen,” he said. “The pause was to take a look, make sure we know all the information we can have within that timeframe, and also warn some of the physicians out there who might see people, particularly women, who have this particular adverse event, that they treat them properly.”“I think it’ll likely say, ‘OK, we’re going to use it. But be careful under these certain circumstances.’”More than 6.8 million doses of the J&J vaccine have been given in the U.S., the vast majority with no or mild side effects. Authorities stressed they have found no sign of clot problems with the most widely used COVID-19 vaccines in the U.S. — from Moderna and Pfizer.Fauci appeared on NBC’s “Meet the Press,” CNN’s “State of the Union,” ABC’s “This Week” and CBS’ “Face the Nation.”

The United States will likely move to resume Johnson & Johnson’s COVID-19 vaccine this coming week, possibly with restrictions or broader warnings after reports of some very rare blood clot cases, the government’s top infectious diseases expert said Sunday.

, in a series of news show interviews, said he expects a decision when to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention meet Friday to discuss the pause in J&J’s single-dose vaccine.

Advertisement

“I would be very surprised if we don’t have a resumption in some form by Friday,” he said. "I don’t really anticipate that they’re going to want it stretch it out a bit longer.”

Fauci, who is President Joe Biden’s chief medical adviser, said he believed that federal regulators could bring the shots back with restrictions based on age or gender or with a blanket warning, so that it is administered in a way “a little bit different than we were before the pause.”

The J&J vaccine has been in limbo after the CDC and the Food and Drug Administration said last week they needed more evidence to decide if a handful of unusual blood clots were linked to the shot — and if so, how big the risk is.

The reports are rare — six cases out of more than 7 million U.S. inoculations with J&J vaccine. The clots were found in six women between the ages of 18 and 48. One person died.

The acting FDA commissioner had said she expected the pause to last only a matter of days. Still, the decision last Tuesday triggered swift action in Europe and elsewhere.

Fauci said he doubted very seriously that the U.S. would permanently halt use of the J&J vaccine.

“I don’t think that’s going to happen,” he said. “The pause was to take a look, make sure we know all the information we can have within that timeframe, and also warn some of the physicians out there who might see people, particularly women, who have this particular adverse event, that they treat them properly.”

“I think it’ll likely say, ‘OK, we’re going to use it. But be careful under these certain circumstances.’”

More than 6.8 million doses of the J&J vaccine have been given in the U.S., the vast majority with no or mild side effects. Authorities stressed they have found no sign of clot problems with the most widely used COVID-19 vaccines in the U.S. — from Moderna and Pfizer.

Fauci appeared on NBC’s “Meet the Press,” CNN’s “State of the Union,” ABC’s “This Week” and CBS’ “Face the Nation.”