Former Hawkeyes women's coach Lisa Bluder among candidates for Basketball Hall of Fame
Carmelo Anthony may go into the Basketball Hall of Fame twice next year.
The Hall of Fame released its list of candidates for the Class of 2025 on Thursday, with the list of first-time nominees including Anthony and fellow retired NBA stars Dwight Howard and Marc Gasol.
WNBA greats Sue Bird, Maya Moore, Sylvia Fowles and Chamique Holdsclaw are all first-time candidates as well, along with NBA coaches Doc Rivers and Billy Donovan, Miami Heat managing general partner Micky Arison, Gonzaga men's coach Mark Few and former Iowa women's coach Lisa Bluder, who retired in the spring after 24 years at Iowa and 40 seasons coaching college basketball.
Video above: Lisa Bluder's coaching career by the numbers
Bluder is a Marion, Iowa, native who played basketball at Northern Iowa before going into coaching. She spent six seasons at St. Ambrose College in Davenport, where she had a 169-36 record between 1984 and 1990. She moved on to Drake University in 1990, where she had a 293-188 record over 10 years.
She spent 24 seasons at Iowa, where the Hawkeyes won at least 20 games in each of her last eight seasons — including 38 and 39 in the last two, respectively, when they reached the NCAA championship game. She was 528-254 overall at Iowa and 262-145 in the Big Ten Conference.
The Missouri Valley Conference announced this week that Bluder had been selected for the MVC Hall of Fame. That induction ceremony will be held March 7 during the men's basketball tournament in St. Louis, Missouri.
Among the repeat nominees for the Basketball Hall of Fame: the 2008 U.S. Olympic men's basketball team, which included Anthony.
The Hall also unveiled an update to its eligibility requirements, reducing the waiting period for player candidates from three full seasons out of the game to two seasons. The change was unanimously approved by the Hall of Fame's Board of Governors.
"To better recognize the distinguished careers of potential first-ballot nominees in a more timely manner, the board has appropriately shortened the waiting period," Hall of Fame chairman Jerry Colangelo said. "We are excited about this change and believe that honoring individuals while their contributions are still fresh in people's minds is both meaningful and impactful."
Thursday's announcement is the first step of the process. Finalists will be selected on Feb. 14 in San Francisco at NBA All-Star weekend, and the enshrinement class will be revealed on April 5 in San Antonio at the men's NCAA Final Four.
Enshrinement events take place on Sept. 5 at the Mohegan Sun Casino in Connecticut and Sept. 6 at the Hall of Fame in Springfield, Massachusetts.
There are 189 candidates under consideration in an array of categories, the Hall said.